Sindie's Blog

Monday, December 19, 2005

Today was a good day. :)

I don't imagine work will be busy this week, plus it will be short, since I'm not working on Friday. Then I'll be off until Jan. 3! Definitely something to look forward to.The weekend was good, too. We had Erik's dad, his dad's girlfriend, and my sister-in-law (Beth) over on Friday evening for cake for Erik's dad's birthday. Saturday was spent lounging around and doing a lot of reading since I was still nursing a cold. We went to a Christmas party at a house of one of the couples at our church that evening. It's nice to have established our own sense of belonging to a church this past year. We had a nice time. Sunday was more reading and then going to see the late matinee of Narnia.

Good movie. The girl who played Lucy was cute. Visually very stunning, and the Ice Queen (Jadis) gave me the shivers. She looked truly evil. It was so obvious to be the parallels to the Bible, what with Aslan's sacrifice on the Stone Table and all. I've read the entire series, but it's hard to remember everything. It makes me want to go back and read them again. Lewis was a genius, just like Tolkien and Rowling in the way that he created a world world.

I felt much better as Sunday progressed and am pretty much back to normal today. Work was light, and my boss gave me two books for Christmas: Moby Dick and Ivanhoe. I've read the first couple pages of each and love the way they are written. The quality of writing in a book has become just as important to be this past year as the plot and characters. Reading Jane Eyre has given me a really high standard by which I judge writing. That book is the best book I have ever read and the most beautifully-written. How something can be so incredibly poetic and full of uncommonly used words and yet flow so naturally is beyond me. Not much the writing-style itself, but the characters, Jane and Mr. Rochester, are absolutely amazingly real to me. A truly romantic story if I've ever read one!

Speaking of reading, wow, have I outdid myself this year in the department! I can't even begin to count the number of books that I've picked up this past year. I plan to continue to do that next year and so on and so forth.

We got seven Christmas cards in the mail today, which made me very pleased! I'm anxiously awaiting that wondrous day of Christ's birth. Alleluia! Amen!

posted by Sindie 7:43 PM

Comments: Post a Comment
Powered by Blogger

 

Plain and simple, people...This is my own personal blog. If you're really that interested in what's going on in my life, you'll find some stuff here...but you'll only find out what I want you to know. >;)

Past
current